Current:Home > ScamsTrump seeks new trial or reduced damages in E. Jean Carroll sexual abuse case -Capitatum
Trump seeks new trial or reduced damages in E. Jean Carroll sexual abuse case
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 06:49:18
Donald Trump is asking a federal court to order a new trial in the civil case brought by the writer E. Jean Carroll or to reduce the damages awarded to her by a jury that found Trump liable for sexual abuse and defamation.
The former president's attorneys argued in a filing on Thursday that the $5 million verdict was "grossly excessive."
Carroll accused Trump of attacking her in a department store changing room during a chance encounter in the mid-1990s, and then of defaming her after she went public with the story in 2019.
Trump's attorneys argued in the new filing that a $2 million portion of the award was excessive because the jury did not find him liable for rape.
Trump has denied assaulting Carroll and claimed her story was fabricated. She testified that they had been amiably walking through the store, joking during a light conversation, before Trump pushed her against a wall, her head slamming against it, and forcefully penetrated her with his hand and penis.
Trump's attorneys claimed $2.7 million in compensatory damages for defamation were based on "speculation" about how many people viewed a defamatory social media post by Trump in which he denied the allegation. The filing also claims the remaining punitive damages related to the defamation were awarded "without due process."
Roberta Kaplan, an attorney for Carroll, said in a statement to CBS News that Trump is trying to argue Carroll doesn't "deserve" the damages awarded to her, "even if he did those things."
"Trump's arguments are frivolous," Kaplan said. "The jury carefully considered the evidence that Ms. Carroll presented, and Trump did not put on a single witness of his own. This time, Trump will not be able to escape the consequences of his actions."
Carroll's attorneys argued during the eight-day trial that her allegations against Trump fit with what they called Trump's "modus operandi." In addition to witnesses who said Carroll confided in them after the incident, the jury heard from two other women who described Trump suddenly turning casual confrontations into sexual misconduct. They also watched the "Access Hollywood" video clip that emerged during the 2016 campaign, in which Trump could be heard crudely describing grabbing women by their genitals.
Trump has also appealed the verdict and continues to vehemently deny the allegations. Carroll amended a separate, previously filed defamation lawsuit, seeking at least $10 million in new damages. She claimed comments Trump made at a televised town hall — the day after the jury found him liable — were also disparaging.
Graham KatesGraham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (6459)
Related
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- At least 2 buildings destroyed in flooding in Alaska’s capital from glacial lake water release
- An Indigenous leader has inspired an Amazon city to grant personhood to an endangered river
- Pence, Trump attorney clash over what Trump told his VP ahead of Jan. 6, 2021
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- He was on a hammock, camping in southeast Colorado. Then, authorities say, a bear bit him.
- Beyoncé Pays DC Metro $100,000 to Stay Open an Extra Hour Amid Renaissance Tour Weather Delays
- 8-year-old Chicago girl fatally shot by man upset with kids making noise, witnesses say
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- Paris Hilton Shares Why She's Sliving Her Best Life With Husband Carter Reum
Ranking
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- Storms spawning tornadoes in America's Heartland head for East Coast: Latest forecast
- Woman accuses Bill Cosby of drugging, sexually assaulting her in the '80s
- Livestreamer Kai Cenat charged after giveaway chaos at New York's Union Square Park
- Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
- Moving to a college dorm? Here's how you can choose a reliable mover and avoid scams
- Christmas Tree Shops announces 'last day' sale; closing remaining locations in 16 states
- Fiery mid-air collision of firefighting helicopters over Southern California kills 3, authorities say
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Henry Cort stole his iron innovation from Black metallurgists in Jamaica
Police kill a burglary suspect in Lancaster after officers say he pointed a gun at them
Your HSA isn't just for heath care now. Here are 3 ways it can help you in retirement.
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Jamie Foxx apologizes after post interpreted as antisemitic: 'That was never my intent'
Taylor Swift fan's 'Fantasy Swiftball' game gives Swifties another way to enjoy Eras Tour
Simone Biles is trying to enjoy the moment after a two-year break. The Olympic talk can come later